Monday 3 August 2015

How to Install Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron N5010

Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron N5010

Well well well, Its been 5 days since windows 10 is officially released and guess what it does not officially support the Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop.
You will also see compatibility issues with Broadcom Virtual Wifi adapter if you are running Windows 7.

Now the big question, Should i update my laptop to Windows 10 or is it gonna screw my laptop?

Yesterday, I upgraded my inspiron to Windows 10 from 7 and the upgrade process was seamless and fast. It took about 2 hrs to finish the upgrade.

I am answering some of the important questions that people around have in mind.



How to Upgrade?

Its true that you will be notified by Window once the update is ready for your system but to do it right away, you just need to tweak you registry settings a bit as below-

  1. Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
  2. It should exist, but if not, create it.
  3. Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = “AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 00000001 and check the HexaDecimal option button.
Now go to Windows Update and click on Check for Updates. You will see Upgrade to Windows 10 option.


Will  Wireless and LAN connection work on Windows 10

Yes, in dell inspiron N5010 both wireless and LAN are working fine. Windows 10 has its drivers and they are working just fine.


Screen Resolution

It looks like Windows 10 does not have 1366x768 resolution for my Inspiron N5010. I still have Windows Update downloading some updates for me and i hope i get this resolution back.
Currently, I see only 2 resolutions-
1024x768 (Running on this, Everything looks a bit stretched)
800x600

Update: I just checked for Windows update and guess what the resolution is updated and now we have our 1366x768 res back.

Cortana

Bad news, Microsoft has not officialy released Cortana for India, It is supported for specific Regions and languages.
I had to set to United States in order to get it started up. Also you have to configure Speech Recognition in Ease of Access center under Control Panel.

Comment below on how way your experience with the new Windows 10

3 comments :

  1. I've purchased a Dell N5010 from a friend . He said he installer win 10 pro, which I didn't want. I wanted win 10 upgrade. Now I'm not activated until I fork over 200.00 for the pro version . I've got to figure out how to either get win 10, or just go back to win 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've purchased a Dell N5010 from a friend . He said he installer win 10 pro, which I didn't want. I wanted win 10 upgrade. Now I'm not activated until I fork over 200.00 for the pro version . I've got to figure out how to either get win 10, or just go back to win 7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      Inspiron has a product key for the Windows OS at the back that usually comes with the laptop. If you have it you can download windows 7, do a fresh install and then use the upgrade option to upgrade to Windows 10 Home

      Delete