Saturday 24 September 2016

PGEE Interview Experience

After screwing up in GATE with rank of around 800+, PGEE was my only option to get into a college equivalent to IIT.
Though after giving the written test, I had no hopes of getting selected there too but it was May 18th when the results were announced and I was selected for interviews.
The interview was on 9th June at Himalaya BODH 105 of IIIT Hyderabad Campus
I had enough time to prepare for the interviews though time passed really quickly and frankly speaking I had no idea what to prepare for as going through past interview experiences, it was clear that usual preparation of GATE would just not suffice here ;)

Ok anyhow I went through mostly Algorithms and Data Structures, which I literally screwed in the interview, I will come to that in some time.



I booked a flight for Hyderabad and reached there, getting a stay in IIIT Hyderabad was easy in Bakul Nivas at a minimal charge of 400 bucks. The facebook group PGEE helped a lot.
Though my college friend was staying near the campus so I later went to his house rather than staying in campus.

Finally after an intimidating night it was 9th morning and I was getting ready for the interviews. First questions obviously - should I were formals or just business casuals? I was confused but I went with formals later on. I guess it was a correct decision. Though i saw people in business casuals too :)

Taking about the interviews, it started with everyone getting assembled in the big hall and a quick briefing about IIIT Hyderabad and giving us idea by the professors of respective streams.

After that groups were divided based on panels and interviews were started. The interviews were conducted in a very streamlined fashion. I was 8th in the list and they were taking students in a batch of 5 so we went to cafeteria to have some snacks, I really loved the food there.

Then came my number, My heartbeat was at 7th high and I was really nervous, I met a couple of guys and they were too good with their projects and other preparation and that added to the nervousness.

After a wait of almost 45 mins, I was called in by 3 professors, I asked for permission to enter the room and then they asked me to sit.
Ok, so I had done some preparation on DS and Algos so as expected they asked me about fav subject to which I answered Data Structures, Algorithms

They were like ok and shot the first question - How will you represent an image in a computer?
I was like ok, I will use a matrix to represent color values.
and 0,1 values if its a black and white to represent.

At that time I had no idea what a grey-scale image is and thus they cross questioned - only 0 and 1 values, do you know about grey-scale image?
I replied sorry sir, I have heard about it but dont have much idea.

They were like ok nvm and moved on to the second question - How will you rotate an image? Just the process was asked.
I was already shattered in half with the first one and this was just adding to it further.
So i drew a 0-1 matrix and told them that I will take transpose. They just laughed and said think a bit harder but i couldnt
Then one of them said, read about this when you go back home. I responded positively.

Then the prof on right was looking at my documents and asked about my marksheets and GATE score - I told him I did not bring all my marksheets as the final year marksheet covered marks of all the other semesters.
Also showed him the GATE scorecard sheet.

Then he asked me about my Final year project in college and i said blah, blah..

Moving on to the next question - How will you find maximum in an array and to write a program?
I was like this is shit program - I wrote it with the speed of light :)

He was like ok Now how will you find second max :D
I initially told him I will use another loop to find second max using first. I wrote the program for that also.
Then he said about optimization - I said we can do using 1 loop also by merging these two loops. He was like ok but moved on.

Then the final question from the first interviewer - Draw the graph of log x. I started drawing it using e but he said it will be complex using e to find values "Kinda similar feeling in my mind as i was stuck :)" so take any base. I took 2 as the base and quickly started drawing by taking different values.

This way the interview was over and i had lost all hopes of getting selected.
I went to my friends home and booked bus to return back home totally dissatisfied with my performed but learned a lot in the process for the future.

It was June 20th when the results were announced and I was selected for one of the MTech program. I resigned the next day :)

No comments :

Post a Comment